Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Go down

Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Roy on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Would the transparent ad works? Or still needs the information asymmetry?

Maybe the honest is better?

I'm thinking the question for some time...

Roy

注冊日期 : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by ChienWei_Lee on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:36 pm

What is a transparent ad??
avatar
ChienWei_Lee

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25
年齡 : 29
來自 : Taiwan

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Roy on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:41 pm

U can say "Honest and franker".

Roy

注冊日期 : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Ian Chen on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:03 pm

When it comes to selling something(goods or services) to customer, there must be some information asymmetry. People are more willing to know the "Good side" of the product instead of knowing that there exist some "Bad side" of products. So that you should not blame for firms that hide something from you by advertising. However, firms shouldn't persuade customers with improper information of products, and it can emphasize products' advantages but not too exaggerated...


lol!
avatar
Ian Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Roy on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks for Ian Chen. Now I got the point.

Roy

注冊日期 : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Ian Chen on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks for Ian Chen. Now I got the point.

it's a nice question to discuss hope everyone can enjoy it!!!

lol!
avatar
Ian Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by ChienWei_Lee on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Ian Chen wrote:When it comes to selling something(goods or services) to customer, there must be some information asymmetry. People are more willing to know the "Good side" of the product instead of knowing that there exist some "Bad side" of products. So that you should not blame for firms that hide something from you by advertising. However, firms shouldn't persuade customers with improper information of products, and it can emphasize products' advantages but not too exaggerated...


lol!

Yap, but what if the ads mention only 10% of good side and hide the other 90% bad side?
They didn't lie, but it really causes misleading to consumers.
So the policy should restrain this kind of situations.
For example, the Federal Truth in Lending Act (TILA) requires that if one aspect of a loan arrangement is mentioned in the ad, then other important loan terms must also be presented.
However, what is an important part can only be defined in the court.
There are too many ads a day for the authorities to censor.
An ad which is not so bad may not be taken to the court because the sufferers aren't enough.
Furthermore, if you use a transformational ad, you can avoid this act....
avatar
ChienWei_Lee

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25
年齡 : 29
來自 : Taiwan

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Eva_Berends on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:18 pm

The honest is always better, I guess. When customers find out the ad didn't work out for them, they will refuse buying the product the next time anyway.
avatar
Eva_Berends

注冊日期 : 2010-02-26
年齡 : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Raphy_Liang on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 pm

More detail is good for cutomer to eliminate info asymmetry.
But an ad full of detail info won't attract me to pay attention on it.

Raphy_Liang

注冊日期 : 2010-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Ian Chen on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Yap, but what if the ads mention only 10% of good side and hide the other 90% bad side?
They didn't lie, but it really causes misleading to consumers.
So the policy should restrain this kind of situations.
......

Yeah~ I got your point. But what I emphasized is that even though the ads mention only 10% of good side and hide the other 90% bad side there's no ethical or credit problems for advertising like this. Because this is what advertising suppose to be.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
avatar
Ian Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by camille_girard on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Yes the honest advert is better and customer will be more loyal to the brand. It is harder to get new customer than to keep existing one. So the transparency is all th time the good way to keep customers.
avatar
camille_girard

注冊日期 : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Frank_Ho on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:04 pm

The information asymmetry always exists more or less no matter how honest the advertiser would be! For example, even a medicine ads discloses all side effects, it would hard for us to know “how terrible it would be?” Even if it reveals the probability, it’s still hard for us to “feel” how risky it is. Especially for financial case, we can not guarantee every people watching these ads having enough knowledge and education to make decision. However, after all, honest is still the better choice.

Frank_Ho

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Eva_Berends on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Honesty above everything
avatar
Eva_Berends

注冊日期 : 2010-02-26
年齡 : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Jamie_Tang on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 pm

I think advertisements that use the honest approach and tell customers what is good and bad about their company will be better. If customers find out the company lied with false advertising, they will lose their credibility and have a hard time selling any more products after that. I think that most companies try to hide their bad side, but that might not always be the best choice, since most customers are prepared to know that there is a bad side to many of the things they buy, and having the company admit it instead of finding out the hard way would be a better option for the company in the long run. It allows the customer to trust the company a bit more. I kinda disagree with Ian when he says the customers would rather know only the good side. I think customers are willing to hear about both sides of a product, like medicines and their side effects. Of course I'm also not saying that a company should just talk about its bad parts either, just do both in an effective way that will allow the customers to understand the product better.

Jamie_Tang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by MaoHung_Wang on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:17 pm

Honesty is the best, but how consumers know this is a honest ads?
There are too many ads hide the important information from consumers, and consumers are hard to distinguish which ads is honest or not in short time.

MaoHung_Wang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Eva_Berends on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 pm

They will find out after using the product that it was a honest add Smile And then they are most likely to buy it again.
avatar
Eva_Berends

注冊日期 : 2010-02-26
年齡 : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by YOUNGJIN_KIM on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:33 pm

yeah It is always good to be honest for consumers and company might have better image from the consumers when they do honest ads. But nobody knows whether it is right or not before purchasing goods. and I also think companies should not show their bad side of product. I think It is a suicidal act for the company. Is there any exapmles of success with showing their product bad??

YOUNGJIN_KIM

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Lu_Song on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 am

As a consumer, of course we'd opt for companies to be completely truthful and provide us with a unbiased view of their product or service. We'd like to know that the perceived value is equal to the actual value. However, I agree with YongJing that if a company were to do this, it'd be suicidal. It's important to understand that the goal for companies to advertise is to sway your purchasing selections. Yes, they will provide information about their product or service and provide incentives that make it seem like you are getting a deal, but ultimately, companies have to earn profit. This is not to say that companies should out right lie or cheat consumers. I think the best way to reconcile the two point of views (consumers and companies) is to have a third party control and approve or disapprove of advertisements; an organization that is neither the consumer or suppler. An organization with the full understanding for both party's objectives and does their best to give the consumers what they want and give the companies the opportunity to make money.

Lu_Song

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by chiaying_lin on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:22 am

From the customer's point of view, of course, we want all the ads to be 100% real and unbiased with concrete details; however, just like Young Jin and Lu Song mentioned above, it's not gonna happen.
So an ad which is telling the truth and not exaggerated too much sounds good enough for me.
Razz

chiaying_lin

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Nemo_Kuo on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:23 am

i don't believe that there exists companies who show the whole details to their costomers or people.
Because when companies do their "very best" to put emphsize on the great side of their products, costomers will not notice that they have side-effect. And if their products have competitiveness, thier costomers increase.
Therefore, why companies have to do transparent ad?
avatar
Nemo_Kuo

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Lin_Chen on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:39 am

Replying to Lu's post...^And, that is where the government comes in. Though, I don't think the regulations are strong enough these days. Sure, the government will ban provocative, racy, and/or offensive ads in certain countries, but I think the media really is overpowering. Advertisements really has a hold on our lives, and we are all affected by it in some way. But yes, honesty is an extremely important in ads because, then, those companies hold liabilities if they don't mention side-effects or fine print. For example. there are many diet pills out on the market. Some don't list all the side-effects or all the ingredients. This poses a health risk for consumers who are looking to lose weight. And usually, these diet pills are so dangerous (have caused death, sent people to the ER, etc) that consumers look past the fine print. I think these products ought to have a big warning label noting "WARNING: MAY CAUSE DEATH"!
avatar
Lin_Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by MaoHung_Wang on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 am

When companies do transparent ad, they could build relationship of trust with customers. It's some kind of brand value, and is not easy to build and get profit with. But there are some success example. The founder of google said "Do no evil", and google do give me different feels from other companies.

MaoHung_Wang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Sean_Huang on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:57 am

It reminds me of the oath from the witness in the court: "To tell the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth."
Well, transparent ads may well tell the truth, but often not the whole truth, since companies needs to make their strengths more salient, and often they tell much more than the truth, transformational ads are good examples.
Besides, I think too much detail won't work because we would be overwhelmed by it, not able to see the whole picture and which information is important.

Sean_Huang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Erin_Lo on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:00 am

Well of course, honesty is the best policy. However, information asymmetry exists all the time. I think there is no so-called "transparent ads" since it's too hard for the company to disclose all pros and cons about the product only by ads. If a company reveals everything about its product, and its profit may drop. For example, if my competitor shows everything about its product, it is a good chance for me to beat them.

Erin_Lo

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Transparent Ads, Let everyone know the details?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum